An article by City Press revealed today a 500% increase in South Africans Google searches for homemade alcohol recipes. While we’re all trying to keep safe and stay home. The desire to consume alcohol is increasing. The funny thing is that we were all okay with sobriety until the lockdown extension was confirmed. All of sudden, people hit the internet to become homebrewers.
So what did we do?
We started to source some of the top hits for recipes, all in this one guide to get you on your way.
- A segment from ENCA, has a video on how to make umqombothi
- Pineapple Beer, a great non-alcoholic drink. Leave it a little longer to ferment.
- If you’ve got the tools, another South African tradition is Mampoer
- Strawberry Wine, this needs a little longer than the lockdown period, but looks divine!
- If you’re one of the lucky ones with stock, here are some cocktail recipe’s from our favorite mixologists at Liquid Culture
We do not promote the production of homemade alcoholic beverages. With 3 weeks ahead of us, you’ve got all the time to develop a new skill and this just seems like a great pas-time.
If you do give it a try, please leave give us feedback in the comment section below. We would love to hear from you.